It is more useful to have external links to pictures files rather than embedded in Word documents. Using such links give us:
- Changes in external media automatically show in the document. It allows easy to correct\change media in the future without touching the document.
- Original file names are preserved when publishing to the site. It influences SEO.
- One picture can be included in several document parts without increase source content size.
- Images are preserved its original quality. Very often MS Office products decrease the dimensions of embedded pictures.
- MS Word doesn’t set ‘alt’ attribute that might unplanned increase SEO keywords count for the page.
- The linked image could be loosen due to file move operation rather than an embedded one.
How to insert linked image#
When inserting new media in the document, choose “Link to file”.