It more useful to have external links to pictures files rather than embedded in Word document. Using such links give us:
- Changes in external media automatically show in the document. It allows easy to correct\change media in the future without touching the document.
- Original file names are preserved when publishing to the site. It influences on SEO.
- One picture can be included in several document parts without increase source content size.
- Images are preserved its original quality. Very often MS Office products decrease dimensions of embedded pictures.
- MS Word doesn’t set ‘alt’ attribute that might unplanned increase SEO keywords count for the page.
- Linked image could be loosen due to file move operation rather than embedded one.
How to insert linked image
When to insert new media in the document, choose Link to file.